Kerala, often referred to as “God’s Own Country,” is a mesmerizing destination that offers a diverse range of experiences. From picturesque hill stations to stunning beaches, from lush tea gardens to vibrant cultural performances, from serene backwaters to thrilling adventures, Kerala truly has it all. If you’re looking to explore the best of Kerala in a week-long vacation, we’ve got you covered with this detailed 7 nights 8 days itinerary. Get ready to embark on a journey that will immerse you in the unparalleled beauty of Kerala.
Day 1 – Arrival in Cochin and Exploration
Your Kerala adventure begins as you arrive in the vibrant city of Cochin. After completing all arrival procedures, you can hire a cab from the airport and check-in to your chosen hotel. Start your day with a traditional Kerala breakfast to fuel your energy for exploring Cochin.
Cochin, also known as Kochi, is a city steeped in history and culture. Spend your first day exploring its enchanting attractions. Some of the must-visit places in Cochin include:
- Mattancherry Palace: Also known as the Dutch Palace, this historical marvel showcases exquisite Kerala mural paintings and artifacts.
- St. Francis Church: This ancient church is a testament to the colonial history of Cochin.
- Fort Cochin: Wander through the charming streets of Fort Cochin, lined with colonial-era buildings, quaint cafes, and art galleries.
- Cherai Beach: Relax on the pristine sands of Cherai Beach and witness a stunning sunset.
- Cochin Marine Drive: Take a leisurely walk along the picturesque Marine Drive promenade.
In the evening, don’t miss the chance to experience the unique culture of Cochin by attending a Kathakali performance, a traditional dance form that narrates stories through elaborate costumes and expressions. End your day with a delicious dinner at your hotel and get a good night’s rest to prepare for the exciting days ahead.
Must-Try: Taste the local tea in Cochin; it’s known for its unique flavor and aroma.
Day 2 – Journey to Munnar
On Day 2, bid farewell to Cochin and head to the enchanting hill station of Munnar. Enjoy a hearty breakfast at your Cochin hotel before embarking on a scenic drive to Munnar. The journey itself is a treat, as you’ll be surrounded by lush green hills and serene valleys.
After checking in to your Munnar hotel, take some time to relax and soak in the tranquil ambiance. Munnar is famous for its tea gardens and breathtaking landscapes. You can explore the following attractions:
- Flower Gardens: Visit the beautiful flower gardens and tea plantations to witness the lush greenery and vibrant blooms.
- Leisurely Walks: Stroll through the winding roads of Munnar, taking in the fresh mountain air and pristine scenery.
Conclude your second day in Munnar with a comfortable overnight stay at your hotel.
Must-Try: Indulge in a hot cup of Munnar’s famous tea; it’s sure to rejuvenate your senses.
Day 3 – Exploring Munnar
Day 3 is dedicated to fully immerse yourself in the wonders of Munnar. After a delightful breakfast, set out to explore some of Munnar’s most captivating sights:
- Eravikulam National Park: Marvel at the diversity of flora and fauna in this national park, home to the endangered Nilgiri Tahr.
- Boating at Mattupetty Dam: Enjoy a peaceful boat ride on the serene waters of Mattupetty Dam.
- Echo Point: Test the famous echo phenomenon at Echo Point and capture stunning views of the surrounding hills.
- Kundala Lake: Visit Kundala Lake, known for its picturesque surroundings and boating options.
For an adventurous twist, consider taking a Jeep Safari to Kolukkumalai, an experience that will leave you thrilled and awestruck. After a day of exploration, return to your hotel for another comfortable overnight stay.
Day 4 – Journey to Thekkady
Day 4 takes you to the spellbinding landscapes of Thekkady, known for its lush hills and abundant natural beauty. After a hearty breakfast in Munnar, set off for Thekkady. As you reach your destination, check in to your hotel and take some time to relax.
Thekkady offers a range of natural and wildlife experiences. Some highlights of your day in Thekkady include:
- Periyar National Park: Explore the Periyar National Park, famous for its wildlife sanctuary and the picturesque Periyar Lake.
- Thekkady Rose Park: Enjoy the vibrant colors and fragrances of the beautiful rose park.
- Elephant Camp: Visit an elephant camp and interact with playful baby elephants, an experience both children and adults will cherish.
After a day of exploring, return to your hotel in Thekkady for a restful overnight stay.
Must-Try: Don’t miss the opportunity to play with baby elephants at the elephant camp.
Day 5 – Arrival in Alleppey: The Backwater Paradise
Your journey on Day 5 takes you to the iconic backwaters of Kerala in Alleppey. After breakfast in Thekkady, check out from your hotel and make your way to Alleppey.
Upon arriving in Alleppey, you’ll board a traditional houseboat, which will be your accommodation for the day. Houseboats in Kerala offer a unique and immersive experience as you cruise through the tranquil backwaters. Enjoy a variety of meals and modern amenities on the houseboat, and be sure to savor the delicious fish fry, a local specialty, during lunch.
As you glide through the backwaters, take in the stunning scenery and unwind in the serene environment. An overnight stay on the houseboat ensures you wake up to a mesmerizing sunrise, marking the beginning of another day of exploration in Kerala.
Must-Try: Wake up early to witness the breathtaking sunrise over the backwaters for a truly memorable experience.
Day 6 – Journey to Kovalam
On Day 6, your Kerala adventure takes you to Kovalam, a coastal paradise known for its beautiful beaches and vibrant culture. Depart from Alleppey after breakfast and proceed to Kovalam via Kollam and Trivandrum.
As you near the end of your Kerala tour, take some time for shopping in Kovalam, which offers a variety of unique items and souvenirs. Explore the local markets and pick up some memorable gifts and trinkets. After a day of shopping and exploration, settle in for an overnight stay in Kovalam.
Must-Try: Pamper yourself with a visit to an ayurvedic center in Kovalam and enjoy a rejuvenating spa session.
Day 7 – Coastal Delights in Kovalam
Day 7 is all about indulging in the coastal charms of Kovalam. After a delightful breakfast, set out to explore the stunning beaches and cultural attractions in this coastal paradise. Some must-visit places in Kovalam include:
- Samudra Beach: Relax and unwind on the peaceful shores of Samudra Beach.
- Lighthouse Beach: Visit the iconic Lighthouse Beach and soak in the panoramic views from the lighthouse.
- Poovar Beach: Discover the beauty of Poovar Beach, a serene and untouched gem in Kovalam.
- Vizhinjam Beach: Explore the picturesque Vizhinjam Beach and capture the scenic beauty on camera.
Kovalam is also home to several temples, offering a glimpse into the spiritual heritage of the region. Take some time to visit these temples and soak in the peaceful atmosphere.
Must-Try: Treat your taste buds to delectable dishes at the German bakery located on Lighthouse Beach, offering a perfect blend of delicious food and beachfront views.
Day 8 – Departure from Trivandrum
As your memorable 7 nights 8 days Kerala tour comes to an end, it’s time to bid farewell to this enchanting state. After breakfast, make your way to Trivandrum, where you’ll be starting your onward journey back home.
Reflecting on your journey, you’ll carry with you the vivid memories of Kerala’s diverse landscapes, rich culture, and warm hospitality. Kerala, with its unparalleled natural beauty and vibrant experiences, has surely left an indelible mark on your heart.
In conclusion, this 7 nights 8 days Kerala itinerary has allowed you to explore the best of what this magical state has to offer. From the historical charm of Cochin to the serene backwaters of Alleppey, and from the lush tea gardens of Munnar to the coastal delights of Kovalam, every moment of your journey has been filled with awe and wonder.
So, if you’re seeking a vacation that combines nature, culture, adventure, and relaxation, look no further than Kerala. Let the captivating beauty of this paradise on Earth enchant you, and get ready to embark on a journey of a lifetime. Kerala, with its myriad wonders, is waiting to be explored and cherished. Bon voyage!